Trader Joe’s Oat Bran Muffins
I used to buy TJ’s oat bran until they stopped carrying it. Much sadness! Thankfully I took a picture of the recipes on the back! Here’s the oat bran muffin recipe: (I’ll make notes of my substitutions after the recipe)
Oat Bran Muffins
- 2 cups TJ’s oat bran, uncooked
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup fat-free or 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey or molasses
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 425. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottom only with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients; mix well. Add combined milk, egg whites, honey, and oil; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add walnuts and raisins, mix until combined.
- Fill prepared muffin cups full. Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Preparation options: in place of raisins and walnuts, stir into batter 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or 1 medium ripe banana (mashed).
I don’t think I ever made these with 2 egg whites because I wasn’t going to crack two eggs. I only ever used a whole egg. Then I veganized this and I use a flax egg or applesauce. (I’m using applesauce in things a lot lately!) I use plant milk and I don’t add the raisins and walnuts. My husband and kids don’t care for nuts in baked goods and they all like to choose a different jam or apple butter. I also mix this all in one bowl and it’s fine!
One last thing – I copied this recipe word for word and I don’t think I ever noticed the “fill until full” part until tonight. Ha!